NJ Department of Education: Please Stop the Misinformation & Intimidation!
Please ask the New Jersey Department of Education to cease immediately its campaign of misinformation and intimidation against its own citizens!
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) has engaged in inappropriate actions intended to intimidate parents into having their children participate in the upcoming PARCC tests. These actions include:
- Threatening school districts with the loss of federal aid if less than 95% of their students participate in PARCC testing. There is no reason to believe that the US Department of Education will withhold federal aid from schools because parents refuse the PARCC tests for their children.1
- Telling school districts that poor participation rates on PARCC tests will result in poor scores on the NJ School Performance Reports that are issued by the NJDOE.
- Suggesting that the NJDOE would punish school districts not meeting the 95% participation rate with onerous corrective action plans.
- Telling school board members that adopting a humane refusal policy could be considered an ethics violation by the School Ethics Commission.
- Telling school districts that they could face sanctions if it appears as if a district or a Board of Education is encouraging families to refuse taking the PARCC in any way.
These actions are intended to intimidate school districts into adopting punitive policies towards children whose parents refuse the PARCC tests and intimidate parents into having their children participate in the PARCC tests.
Please ask the New Jersey Commissioner of Education to cease immediately this campaign of misinformation and intimidation against the people of New Jersey!